Friday, April 10, 2009

...from my daybook...

April 4

After speaking to Bob, I learned there is no easy solution to my park picture. Branches against skies (I'm sure) will be the bane of my existence forever.

The only way to solve the problem is to individually spot burn the main white areas while avoiding, as best I can, the larger branches.

So, that's what I did yesterday. I admit it looks muhc better than before, but I think it still needs some work.

[after printing]
Very overwhelmed and furstrated right now. I started printing this image and it did not go well. I don't think I have the skill set to print this image yet... not this large.
Got a pep talk from Sach... I'm going to do a different image.

[1.5hrs later]
I think I've successfully printed an image. This one was much easier - not nearly as much contrasting areas. No more sunny days! I am quite happy with the result of this one. I even listened to my gut and slightly reframed the picture, bringing the right side to hug the plant a little more. I felt the plant was getting lost and it's one of my favourite things about this picture.

There are seventy-six day sleft of my 100, or 97 if I give myself until the very end of June. However way I look at it, there isn't much time left and I have printed finals of only five images...

April 8

Developed two rolls today. They look pretty good - might be some interesting shots on there. Going to work on the contact sheets today and one train bridge print. I'm trying to get some ready for the Mx Reviews. I'm also done my bulk roll of film. I might have 12 or so pictures worth of film left. Aleks is picking me up four rolls of 120mm film for this weekend, so I'll focus on that for a while. Maybe some groups could contain both sizes of pictures?

I am still facing the dilema - glossy or pearl? I have always printed on pearl... I like that the paper is somewhat unassuming and not show-offy. Glossy paper also tends to glare if not observed under the right condition and at the right angle. BUT, it does look really sleek and the contrast pops more. The blacks are definitely true blacks. I'm going to have to decide quickly before I print too many more finals. Redoing 7 or 8 isn't a huge deal... 20 or more is a bit redundant.

Spoke with Bob... glossy paper it is.

[back tracking]
A couple day sago I printed the bookstore front window. It looks pretty nice - and is a nice partner to the front door/mailbox/plant image I printed a couple days earlier. I'd liek to get a third to go along with this group/theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment